Sunday, January 07, 2007

Sunday Edition: A few of my favorite things

In addition to the Weekend Wrap-Up, I'm going to start sharing with you, Internets friends, some of my most favorite things in life. Sometimes they will be objects, sometimes they will be people. You'll just have to keep coming back to find out.

First we have this:


This is our Presto Heatdish. It follows us around the house during the winter. Or we follow it. Since our house was built in 1912, our windows and doors don't so much shut. Since it is 2007, our fireplaces don't so much work. So, we're left to find other ways to keep warm. Ross's parents bought us this from Costco a year or so ago and we wouldn't make it through the cold nights without it. Zapp likes to sleep directly in front of it to make up for the fact that she, unlike Shooter our German Shepherd, has no undercoat.


What you see here is the Catrow Family bike rack. I have spent the better part of our marriage tripping over Ross's bike(s). Rather than throwing another temper tantrum, I suggested that we somehow mount the bikes to the wall in our dining room. In a fit of productivity, we actually went out, bought the supplies, and proceeded with my suggestion, ALL IN THE SAME DAY. Seeing this reminds me of how I don't get bike grease on my new pants while walking through the hallway anymore and of the time that we actually did something.


This is perhaps my most favorite spot in our house. First of all, it's pretty dark in this corner so you can't really see the layers of dust on everything. And second, it's a crazy combination of things we love. You'll see Ross's walking stick from Scouts leaning in the corner. The desk is an antique that my mom gave me. Ross's Eagle Scout blanket is folded up on the seat of the desk. The tool box is Ross's great-grandfather's and had "Catrow" stenciled on it. Those are ridiculous pictures of Ross when he was little (yes, he is dressed as a cowboy in the one on the right). And who can leave out the pictures of Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and a random Confederate soldier? I love that this is one of the first things people see when they walk into our house. Oh, and the Lee picture isn't crooked. Either our floors or our walls or our ceiling is.

So there you have it. Stay tuned until next week. Maybe YOU'LL make the cut, friend.

No comments: