Saturday, January 06, 2007

Alert the media!

Ross and I were able to go to the grocery store without wanting to kill each other.

Anyone who has ever looked in our fridge knows that we very rarely have any real food. We just have condiments that we put on the food that we order in. Sometimes we go to the grocery store just to buy things for one particular meal, but we make "real" trips to the store about once a month, if that. I like to think that we will live forever because of all the preservatives we eat.

But today we took a major step. After both of us had gone out and gotten exercise (awhaaaahhhhhh? left is right, up is down, Britney is classy), we decided that it had to be done: We needed to make a menu and actually buy the food to make the things on said menu. And we did. On a piece of paper. We even wrote down the corresponding cookbooks and page numbers for the recipes we chose. I think the angels might have wept.

After stopping at Ben Franklin where I bought some delicious yarn that I was going to use to make fingerless gloves but came home and discovered it was too thin to use, and following a trip to the ABC store to buy to most bo-bo braind of vodka for one of our recipes, we entered the Kroger at Willow Lawn.

Immediately I thought it was going to be a nightmare. It wasn't the *real* Kroger (i.e. the Kroger in Carytown) and we couldn't find a bunch of the things we needed. It was a recipe for disaster, a moment that could make or break our relationship. Luckily, love won out in the end and I only wanted to yell at Ross (not strangle him) when he left me to push the cart or would stop abruptly right in my path while the inertia of our packed cart was almost to great for my mighty arms to fight against. I could have let the cart hit him, but I didn't. He was trying so hard to be helpful and he is much better at picking out produce than me.

No comments: