Sunday, February 04, 2007

yum yum cous cous

Last night Ross, the in-laws, and I headed over to cous cous for dinner. We had to wait a pretty long time to get a table (we got there at 7, didn't sit down till about 8:45-luckily Ipanema is right around the corner ready to serve you drinks), but I would say it was well worth it.

We opted for the tapas style dinner. Everything we had was wonderful and beautifully portioned. Their menu is Mediterranean/Moroccan and has a lot of really great flavor combinations and textures that I'm not used to. Apparently the menu changes with the season so our dishes had what tasted like nutmeg and cinnamon all throughout. I love how a flavor can be associated with a season and I cannot wait to see how everything changes come springtime. Here's what we had:
  • Kebkah: lamb, pork, and beef meatballs in a tomato-cinnamon type sauce
  • Crabka: crab balls with capers aioli
  • Gambas: shrimp in white sauce
  • Curry Platas: seasoned french fries with curry sauce
  • Manchego Fritters: friend Spanish cheese with a mango sauce
  • Gnocchi: potato pasta....mmmmmmmazing
I wanted to finish the meal with the Grilled Fruit Kabob (don't be thinking this had pineapple or apples on it-we're talking figs. FIGS I TELL YOU) but they were all out. So, I went for the Poached Pear. It came on top of some kind of brown-sugar, figgy cake, and was surrounded by chopped, chilled pears. I'm kind of obsessed with the combination of hot and cold, something that they seem to like at cous cous. My MIL got a chicken pita that came with a chilled curry sweet potato mash that was SO good-I'm still thinking about it. Anyway, the dessert was delicious and well worth the $6 my FIL paid for it.

Please go to cous cous, if not for the food, then for the every other Wednesday entertainment provided by MattWhite's Fight the Big Bull.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was Mike/Michael your waiter? The gorgeous tall, skinny, bearded, pierced piece ' o alterna guy? Yummy, just like the food.

Val said...

That sounds right. I liked how he admitted that he couldn't pronounce some of the things on the menu and he accepted my order written out on a napkin.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great palce to eat. Will definitely check it out