Saturday, February 03, 2007

El campo de Jesus

After saying I would get back to you about Jesus Camp and then subsequently *didn't* get back to you, I was asked by Justin to, well, get back to you.

In case you don't know, Jesus Camp is a documentary about a camp that some kids growing up in the Pentecostal church attend in order to learn about evangelism and the like. We get to know a few kids really well as they tell us about "what kind of church God wants to go to" and as we get a snippet of some their homeschooling lessons in which global warming is dismissed as "not really a big issue." Now, to be fair, some of the things that these kids did at church were activities and lessons that I would eventually want my kids to be a part of. The woman in charge of the camp seems to have a real, working knowledge of effective teaching strategies and the like and some of her lessons seemed spot on.

However, the whole experience kind of left me cringing. And what's most frustrating is that I have a hard time articulating what it was exactly that is making me cringe. I'm very ambivalent about the whole thing. So, I guess what I have to say about this film is that I have nothing to say. Disappointing, I know. But I think it tells you that you should probably watch it, because it is not often that I have nothing to say about something, especially a movie.

No comments: