Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Passing out peaches

Today I bought a bag of Ukrop's Peaches. If you are from Richmond, you understand that a Ukrop's peach is the best answer to the sweltering August heat. I bought a total of 4, planning on having one with lunch and then putting the rest out at Potluck tonight. However, as my day progressed, the peaches had to go everywhere with me because my travels kepts me from getting home for a while.

When I picked up Brandon, they came into the Visual Arts Center with me. I was a little early so I took a seat on the couch. A lady came and sat next to me, drenched from the 30 second walk from the parking lot. I offered her a peach and she looked at me as if I had given her the promise for eternal youth. So, she and I chatted and each had a peach.

I offered Brandon one, but he had bought Life Savers from the vending machine. After taking him home, I had to drop something of at my mom's office. The peaches (-2) came into her office with me. I offered her one, and she squealed with delight. Like for real. She and I then made our way out to her car (with the peaches, now -3) to transfer various objects from my car to hers. Meanwhile, a lovely young man named Charlie had stopped by her work to fix a crack in her windshield (who knew people did that, btw?). We chatted with him as he put in the new windshield. Seeing that his T-shirt was soaking wet, obviously from hours of being out in the 100+ degree all day, I offered him the last peach. He would only take it on the condition that I swear, with my hand to the sky, that it was a sweet peach, otherwise he would go around town talking about me. I did as told and passed off the last peach from my batch to this deserving man.

Who knew that a bag a fruit would make my day and 3 other people's? I'll tell you who: Ukrop's. I think they inject a little bit of the heaven into those peaches. I mean, they are rich Baptists-they have connections like that, right? Unfortunately, the Potluck friends, including my husband, won't get to experience the peaches, but I think they'll understand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

were you playing the peaches song on your ipod during all of this? that would have been awesome.