Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Happy Birthday, Sister/Friend.

Twenty-seven years ago today, my sister Robin was born. She was named by my brother who insisted she either be named Minnie Mouse, Robin (for Batman's sidekick), or she would have to be put back. In a rare moment of flexibility, my mother gave in and they went with Robin. Nicole, her middle name, came from a character from The Young and the Restless. (I would later be named for the actress who played Rhoda on The Mary Tyler Moore Show-my mother apparently LOVED TV while gestating).

Robin came 4 years after my brother, and 2 years before me, making her not only the middle child when I arrived, but also placing her in the thrashing fits of the terrible twos when I arrived. Fortunately for me, she was not yet able to act out *too* much while I was an infant, allowing me some time to develop my own defenses before the subsequent sibling battles began.

I could tell you about the time she threw a rock at my head. Or about how she used the magic of friction to get the tips of ballpoint pens really hot and then touch me with them (she was quite resourceful). Or about how she and my brother held me captive on the screen porch when I was six, *forcing* me to bust through the expensive and newly installed screen to freedom (they got in trouble for that). Or about how I kicked a hole in her door (she got in trouble for that). Or about how my mom really thought we might kill each other one day, what with the screaming, smacking, pushing, kicking, and more screaming that came with our closely blossoming adolescence and the fact that we went to the same high school together all day and THEN had to go home and actually live with each other. But I won't.

Instead, I'd like to tell you what I love about my sister. I love how much we love each other now. I love that we don't have sh*t to sort out; the way we treated each other can just be chalked up to brattiness from both sides and we move on. I love that she has a job that most people are too scared to have. I love that we don't have to talk in order to know what we are thinking. I love that we share a brother. I love how she has stepped into the role as Ross's sister with open arms. I love that my children will have her as an aunt. I love that she chose Matt to be in our family. I love her voice-speaking and singing. I can still pick her voice out in a crowd, whether she be on stage or in a group of people. It's not that she's loud, I think I'm just programmed to know where she is at all times. Her voice is one I've been hearing all of my life and one that I will luckily spend most of my life continuing to hear.

I just love her because we're sisters. She's my only sister, and I'm her only sister. We were born being special to each other. And it's a blessing.

Love you, Sister. I couldn't ask for a better one and I'm so proud of you. Have a wonderful birthday!

No comments: