Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Ohhhhhh boys.

This week I am playing chapherone to one of my former (read: awesome) students named Brandon. Ross and I "sponsored" him this summer to take a class at the Visual Arts Center of Richmond. He's taking a cartooning class from 9-12 everyday this week. This involves me leaving my house at 8 to be at his house by 8:30 to be at the Arts Center by 9. I then pick him up at 12, take him home, and get back to my house around 1. It's the price you pay for helping the youth, I guess.

Anyway, as it was 879879.3 degrees, Brandon and I (mostly I) decided that we deserved Slurpees for even venturing out in the heat. I picked the Sunkist flavor. He picked Cherry. I was excited to show him how one fills up a Slurpee cup in order to achieve maximum fillage. He made a huge, sticky mess, but it was cute. Once in the car, he sucked down that Slurpee like none other, then spent the rest of the time giggling hysterically because his head hurt really bad. When I told him that the Slurpee coloring made him look like a vampire, he was even more excited and choked a little bit whilst laughing.

I gotta say, getting to be with one of my students in a much more relaxed situation where he could show pride in looking like the undead made the heat wave more tolerable.

No comments: