Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Day of Suck

Nothing horrible happened today, but it definitely wasn't the best I've had lately. This afternoon Ross and I found out that we have a leak under the sidewalk under our house (probably a pipe that froze and then broke). The leak is between the meter and our house, so we might be responsible for tearing up the sidewalk, fixing it, and putting the sidewalk back. Meanwhile we've got a water/gas bill approaching the $1k mark because of it. Not a dire emergency, but a potentially very expensive one. Luckily, public utilities will be here tomorrow between 8 and 4 to look at it. I feel a battle coming on.
I left work late because I spent the better part of the evening trying to get my grades done. Report card time is coming and my duties as lead technology teacher require me to be available to my co-workers. Consequently, I work on a much tighter deadline. I didn't even want to come home because I knew it would be freezing. I walked in the door, ran up the stairs, and put on my flannel pajamas, a sweatshirt with a hood, and my robe. I proceeded to then spend the next hour making Ross suffer for a leak that is by no means his fault. I yelled, pouted, and declared that I want to move. I still want to move, but I feel bad for yelling at Ross.
While eating dinner huddled around the space heater (as our thermostat has now been turned down to a balmy 58 degrees in an effort to save money while we sort things out with the utilities people), the hubs and I watched a few episodes of Lost. Feeling better, I did my Thursday vaccuuming upstairs, and then headed to the icebox of a kitchen to load the dishwasher. As per usual, the dogs were crowed around the dishwasher, lapping up any globs or splashes that fell from the dishes. Shooter, ever the enthusiast, decided that he needed to kick it up a notch and actually hold one of the plates between his paws as he licked it. I think he realized halfway through the act that he was CRAZY, flipped out, got his paw stuck in the rack, and pulled the bottom drawer out of the dishwasher. As I played tug-of-war with him, trying to save my set of dishes, for some reason I looked up. And what do I see? Oh, just a mouse having a good ol' time climbing across the handlebars of my bike. So I scream, let go of the dishwasher rack, it crashes to the floor, Shooter scrambles away, and I stand there ready to pass out because I have no clue what has just happened. Luckily no dishes were broken.
In an effort to cheer me up, we decided to watch a little Curb Your Enthusiasm. However, it was the episode where they've just bought a new house and it keeps making "a house noise." This just reminded me of how much I'm hating our house right now. So now I'm right back where I started. I know, I should feel blessed that I even have a house, but I'd feel more blessed if it wasn't leaking, freezing, and home to furry things other than those I chose to have there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

leaking, freezing, and home to furry things other than those I chose to have there

Sorry about the leak, we recently went through that. You and Ross should stop by one day. We've got a few few forked up things with our house that'll make you giggle with relief...

- john

Maura said...

Hey all that sucks - except Shooter using his hands - you should have had a beer, it always makes my sucky days better.

J in Ric said...

Sorry to hear about all that. I'm sure my wife would sympathize with you about the heat... I am commonly referred to as the "heat nazi" at our house. Hope it all works out...