Sunday, April 22, 2007

Hokie Pride

Ross and I decided at the last minute to go to Blacksburg this weekend. Thanks to the awesomeness of my sister and bonus-brother, the dogs were taken care of and off we could go. I really think this was the best thing we could do. We got to Blacksburg Friday evening and got to spend some time with Nic, Kate, and Kate's wonderful sister Julia ( a student at Tech).

Saturday started as one of the hardest days of my life. We went to campus and saw all of the memorials set up for those we lost. I can't even explain what it was like. Ross took some pictures so I'll be sure to post them. They are so sad and touching at the same time.

We left campus for Narrows, VA to attend the funeral for Jarrett Lane, Alicia's brother. The whole time we were there I just kept shaking my head. I couldn't believe what was happening. However, the service was a beautiful memorial to Jarrett. The turn out was phenomenal and there were so many heartfelt tributes made to him by the small town that raised him so well and loved him so much. It hurts so much to see people you love in such pain. You just want to take it away and you can't. After the funeral we got to spend some time with Alicia and her husband Daniel. It was wonderful to get to see them and hug them. You never really know what to say in those situations, but you just want them to know that you are there and you love them.

We had planned on only staying one night, but ended up staying over Saturday night, too (thanks again to the awesomeness of my family). After getting back to Blacksburg we went to the drillfield for the alumni/student picnic. And by picnic I mean the most awesome, kind thing ever. Ross and I got a chance to meet the VT police chief which was amazing. Very emotional, but amazing.

We ended our evening by spending more time with friends and then finally collapsing and getting some much needed rest.

I'm glad we went. I'm still exhausted and my head hurts and I have a deep wrinkle in my forehead from choking back tears for two days. But we both feel like it was what Ross needed, what we both needed.

Go Hokies

No comments: