Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Other exciting news...

I talked to my doctor last week and we came to a decision. It's time for me to try going of my anti-anxiety medication. I've been on it for almost two years and I was ready to give myself a chance. He was really wonderful about the whole thing. I think a lot of doctors would have just said "Ok" and sent me on my way. After a couple days of phone tag, we actually got to talk about it in depth. He asked me why I wanted to go off of it and what coping strategies I was going to use instead. We talked about the importance of keeping up the exercise and the strategy of saying "no" to things (and people) that expose me to unnecessary stress. He assured me if it doesn't work out that I shouldn't be disappointed in myself and we will figure out the best thing to do next. And to think I was actually going to switch doctors.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Val, just be careful. Getting off of those things, not done the right way, can be hell. Listen carefully to the instructions you doctor gives you.

Anonymous said...

hm, im going to talk to my dr. about the same thing soon - let me know how it goes

Val said...

Thanks for your concern. He is lowering my dosage VERY slowly and we are just taking it one day at a time. I'll keep you posted.