Tuesday, March 27, 2007

It Is Well with My Soul

This hymn gets me every time. Particularly this verse:

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

Either I sing it louder than anyone in church or I can't get the words out at all because they get me so choked up. I think I love this verse so much because is what I have the hardest time grasping. Probably because when I forgive people, I don't *really* forgive them for a while. Dr. Phil would say I'm a "scorekeeper" because I tend to log people's mistakes in my mind and hold on to them for a long time. I can't believe that with all of the mistakes I've made and continue to make, big and small, that someone actually forgives me totally and completely.

3 comments:

Dr Jones said...

I think that it is amazing that you feel so strongly about your faith. There are those that I have met that embody the spirit of Christ, and it makes me happy to see folks getting it right. I know at times I'm very outspoken about the church and christians alike, but rest assured, it's not just christianity that has earned my ire. However, in those rare instances when I am confronted with the beauty of spirit in folks, regardless of faith, it warms my heart and helps to reassure my faith in humanity.

Thank you for aspiring to be one of those people, and for not judging me based on my own faith. I'm happy to call you sister.

Val said...

*Tear* Hearts to you, brother!

I'm Jennifer said...

were you inside my brain on sunday? that portion of the song is on my bathroom mirror.