Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thoughts on prayer and Thanksgiving

My responding comments to J in Ric’s most recent post (check my blog roll) got me thinking about something. Often when people are going through tough times, we make a promise to pray for them. This is typically the first thing I say (and the first thing I want to hear) when a rough situation comes up. When I say it, I mean it, and I hope other people do.

Keeping this in mind, to those of you who make this offer, I want to encourage you to actually follow through with it. To me, it’s one of the worst promises to break. Obviously, there’s really no way to know for sure that someone is praying for you, and I would never go up to someone and say, “I can’t believe you didn’t pray for me.” However, when someone says they are going to pray for me, I take it very seriously. To me, they are saying that they are going to use some of their one-on-one time with God (of which we sadly take so little) to speak about me and to ask for healing in my life. That’s a powerful thing.

I’ll be praying for all you, Internet and Meat Space friends alike. I pray that you be safe this holiday. I pray that you enjoy the people you spend it with. I pray that you get well-deserved rest and that you eat and laugh until your bellies hurt.

Happy Thanksgiving, Friends. God Bless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you have friends that are not religious?

Val said...

of course I do, and I'm not expecting you to pray for me if you don't believe in prayer. I'm just saying, if someone says they are going to pray for you, they should do it.

Anonymous said...

true. ok.

Anonymous said...

i'm with you... and i am so glad to know you hold that to heart! have a great thanksgiving!!!