Thursday, May 11, 2006

Tearful reunion...well on my part. He just laughed at me.

Today the School Resource Officer from our feeder middle school came by to talk to the kids. He basically comes to talk about school rules and policies, and to show him that he does, in fact, have a gun, stick, pepper spray, and handcuffs that he is allowed to use if provoked. He shhhpeeel is pretty standard, but he brought along a surprise with him. The middle school decided it would be good if they sent a 6th grader with him to give the kids an insider's view of the transition from elementary to middle school. And who did he bring with him? None other than my most favorite child yet: J.R. I had the privilege of teaching J.R. last year. He's one of those kids who is a perfect mix: very responsible, smart, and kind, but just enough twinkle in his eye to remind you that he is a boy. J.R. was a a major bright spot in my life last year (and for all of his teachers), but I hadn't seen him since his last day of 5th grade.

When I walked my kids into the auditorium to hear the officer speak, I saw J.R. standing up in the front, and I just started crying. It was the perfect combination of surprise, happiness, and most of all, pride. He looked like such a little man standing up there, and he did a perfect job talking to the kids. It totally made my day and reminded me of why I do what I do in the first place.

No comments: