Monday, September 25, 2006

Impaired.

I am very crafty. By crafty I mean that I can make crafts, not that I am sneaky (although I can be very sneaky at times.) If you look around my house you will find things that I have made that do not necessarily look as if they were lovingly constructed by my hands alone. But they were. My repertoire is pretty extensive, I will admit.

But still, there is one thing that I still manage to suck at. Not even suck at really, because you have to do something to suck at it. I’m so terrified of it, I don’t even know if I suck at it.

Knitting. Many of my friends do it. Most of the people I work with do it. Justin Morgan can even do it (don’t make fun of him – he spent a lot of time with girls in college learning how to do it). I’ve tried to understand how it works, and often marveled at the beautiful sweaters, caps, scarves, and ridiculously cute baby things produced by this craft. But, something in my brain just doesn’t connect the steps together.

Out on the playground (yes, part of my job involves being out on the playground), Debbi (a fellow 5th grade teacher who reminds me so much of my mother-in-law) was talking about how she knits Christmas stockings for all of her friends’ new babies or for any newlyweds she knows. We got to talking about how knitting lets you make really cool presents for people, and I confessed to her that I cannot do it. Well, she’s determined to change that. Tomorrow she is bringing in her old needles and extra yarn and, by God, she is going to teach me how to knit. Or so she says. I’ll let you know how it goes. Maybe you all will be getting lopsided scarves and tea cozies for Christmas!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who actually needs a tea cozy anyway? I mean if I want my tea warmer I will turn the burner on?

Maura said...

Dude, i offered to teach you just yesterday. Hmmph.

Anonymous said...

No Christmas is complete without a hand-knitted tube sock/hockey stick cozey.

Bring 'em on!!!

Daniel said...

Alicia and I learned last year. We were also given a TON of needles that used to be my grandmothers if you would like some.

Dr Jones said...

I look forward to my lopsided scarf or pot holder/trivet even. Rectangles are good.

I'm Jennifer said...

That's it. Wednesday's have now graduated from Project Runway night to...Project Runway Knitting night! I'm bringing needles and yarn. If I remember. See you tomorrow!