Thursday, July 20, 2006

Longing for fall...

As the days drag on through this mid-summer's heat wave, I find myself counting the days until I get to walk outside in long sleeves and real shoes, get in my car, and do something with the day. I spend most of my year in anticipation of summer. For me, summer means the end of the school year, time to clean the slate and wait for the next batch of kiddies to arrive. Honestly though, I get over summer really quickly. It's not in my nature to just sit and not have anything to do. I'm thrilled with any task I'm given and become pitifully reliant on the television and my dogs for entertainment. For me, summer means being trapped in my own head, my brain clicking away with what I want to accomplish but can't yet because it's not time. For me, idle hands mean an overactive, hypersensitive mind that spends its time making up things to worry about.

The fall means back to work, time to use my brain, to occupy myself, to become exhausted and worn out, to not give my brain time to click-click-click away at night because it's too tired to do anything but shut down and let me rest. Yes, I think I'm ready for that again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

come see me and i'll entertain you!