Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Trying for Contentment

We spend the first quarter of our lives in constant preparation for the next step. While in elementary school, we are being prepared for middle school. Middle school is spent in anticipation of high school. In high school, we're gearing up for college. College ends with job searches and never-ending choices of what to do next. I ended college preparing for marriage and for a teaching job. I got married, got the teaching job, and then moved on to working for the house. At 24, I've got the degree, the husband, the job, the house, and even two dogs. Now what?

After getting so much done in such a little amount of time, I've reached the state of being settled very quickly, and find myself somewhat antsy. I keep looking around thinking, "Ok, now we've got to move on to the next thing, and the next thing has to be huge, because we've only had huge things happen in the last 3 years." But who says that *anything* has to happen for a while. I need to follow my husband's example here, and just focus on being appreciative of all I've been blessed with, work on making myself as good a person as possible, so I'm even better prepared for the next big thing, whatever that may be. I've been given more than anyone deserves, and I'm going to take comfort in that. I will rest in the niche I have carved out for myself and be happy.

4 comments:

Matthew McDonald said...

babies

Val said...

Shut up.

Dr Jones said...

yup, and you know your sister would be all over your kid(s).

mbs said...

material possessions. more of them.