Wednesday, April 05, 2006

ATTN: No, I'm not about to pass out.

One of the things that annoys me most is when people I see everyday say to me, "You look pale. Are you ok?" Hello. I'm pale everyday. I've been pale everyday that you have seen me. My mother even says this to me, and she should know better than anyone else.

My fair skin, as I would rather put it, comes from my paternal grandfather, supposedly. He was a red-head, and while I'm not *really* a red-head, I do have all of the tendencies that accompany it: very light skin, freckles, sunburns, stubborness. The fact that this trait came from him makes it one of my favorite things about myself. I am more fair than anyone else in my family, and as I have gotten older I have learned to accept and love it. The only downside is that I really can't wear skirts or shorts for fears of blinding you all.

Although I love this about myself, I have spent the better part of my life fighting off offers to sit down because I look faint and daily inquiries of, "Are you feeling ok?" I've even recently bought into the genius marketing that is geared directly towards me and my kind: sunless tanning and bronzers that give you that "healthy" glow without exposing you to the sun and frying your skin. But my weakness comes more from the desire to get people off of my back than vanity. Maybe I should move to India. I hear that over there I would be revered and quite the eligible lady. They think the paler you are the better. I'm practically translucent in some places-they might make me their queen and feed me grapes.

6 comments:

Dr Jones said...

I think the Indian people prefer the chunky ladies, which you are not. Sorry for you.

Matthew McDonald said...

maybe you should sit down after that rant. you look a little pale.

Robinitaface said...

There's alot to be said for a lack of opacity. I like that people can actually *see* the blood running through my veins. Maybe I should go visit some anotomy classes. I wonder if I would be more cost-effective than a cadaver? Something to ponder.

Robinitaface said...

I really should go to some typing classes. "anotomy." geez.

Val said...

It's ok. I just sounded British when I pronounced, but the kind of British that matthew sounds like when he declares, "Ooooyem Bri-ish!!!"

Anonymous said...

in college i used to get "you look tired" in a similar way. I hated it too.