Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Call me Mrs. Glover

Ross took me out on Monday night as the last hoooorah of my birthday celebrations. We went to a nice dinner at The Hard Shell and then made our way to the University of Richmond's Modlin Center to see Mr. Savion (sounds like "Evian") Glover perform. Savion is best known for his work in Bring in da Noise, Bring in da Funk on Broadway, and has now begun a new adventure of combining classical music with tap dancing. But by tap dancing, I don't mean top hat, tuxedo-wearing tap dancing. We're talking wife-beater, rough-wood, sweaty-face tap dancing. He tapped to Vivaldi, Bach, and some other composers I can't pronounce, backed by a 10 piece orchestra, as well as a pianist, flutist, drummer, and upright bassist. The juxtaposition of classical compositions and a smiling, sweaty, dread-locked, hot as anything man was a feast for the eyes and ears alike. And I must say, I am now a little bit in love.

Please don't think my affection is purely based on Savion's appearance. It's more about how he, and other artists like him, are able to get to a mental place where they can be that free and controlled at the same time. As he tapped, I could see him go to a somewhere in his mind where he was totally turned inside and focused on the movement of his feet, but also completely aware of the audience's reaction to what he was doing, working them, interacting with them, pulling them in. And for duration of the show, he had the most peaceful smile on his face, even when he was slamming his feet down so hard I was sure the floor was going to crack. I guess I'm just envious of having something like that, of being so confident in the fact that the love for what I'm doing will make me successful at it. Maybe I'll find it eventually. But for now, I'll settle for being pretend-married to someone who has it figured out. So now, please feast your eyes on my new, imaginary husband:

Can you move like that? I don't think so.

2 comments:

Matthew McDonald said...

i saw bring in da noise on broadway when i was like 15. he wasnt in it that night. i was bummed.

mbs said...

i saw "annie." he wasn't in that either.