Saturday, November 26, 2005

Two Turkey Days. What's a girl to do?

Being a child of divorce, I end up having two of every holiday. On Thursday the hubs and I made our way to my brother's house for Thanksgiving with Dad. Today we (along with our friend Chris) trekked out to King William for Thanksgiving with Mom. I must say that the latter is just more fun for several reasons:

1) There is music. I don't mean music on the stereo. I mean live music, courtesy of my uncles, my brother, and their guitars and banjos. Sometime my mom and my aunt will sing.

2) There is a baby. My cousin had a baby in June and we are having so much fun getting to know the newest member of our family. I must say, I think she likes me best.

3) My Uncle Joe is there. Joe likes to lie. And not just fib. He tells complicated lies that could get him in trouble. But once he gets started on a lie, he'll stay with it until the end. For example, he recently called my mother and congratulated her for being a grandmother-to-be. He told her that Ross and I had called and announced we were having a baby. My mother half-believed him. Joe also likes to tell people he's just met that he's a gynecologist, just to see what they will do.

4) We hold hands when we say the blessing. Sometimes we have to spread out all over the house to fit everyone in, but I love it. Uncle Joe says grace every time and he's the best blessing-sayer on God's green earth.

5) People say "I love you" and hug each other a lot while we are there. I mean, what more could you ask for when you're around your family?

So there it is. I did what a child of divorce is never supposed to do: I chose a side. But I'm a grown up now, so I guess it's ok.


Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I hope you felt the love, too.

No comments: