Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Who <3's Math?!?!?!?!?!?!

My school does, that's who! Last night we had our very first "We Love Math Night." We enticed families to the school with $3 dinners consisting of Olive Garden spaghetti, salad, and breadsticks. Then, after stuffing their faces, we wowed them with the fun that math can be. There was a raffle and prizes and candy abound! We had a great turn-out and the parents really got into helping their kids out with the activities. My group taught the kids about tanagrams and we had just as many parents playing with them as kids. People were jumping up and down and yelling when they solved the puzzles. It was so great to see the kids in a less formal setting and to just get to play with them. I will confess that I spent a considerable amount of time racing through the halls with some of my students. Don't tell the principal! I know they won't-I gave them hush money. And by hush money, I mean hush-Milky Ways. Sigh, it was a great night-one of those that makes me pray that I have a huge flock of rambunctious, math-loving boys one day. I mean, I'm married to one already.

No comments: