Wednesday, December 14, 2005

TWO IN ONE DAY! But a topic of interest...

As I lay in bed last night, nursing a belly-ache, I started to think of things I could post on my blog that would allow my loyal but often silent readers to be more active in this whole blogger/audience relationship. I came up with this question that I thought would generate some interesting responses:

Out of all the books you have read, who is your favorite character and/or narrator? Here are some of my favorites, as obvious as they may be...

Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird. Her narration is authentic and hilarious. I want to have a daughter just like her one day.

Good ol' Holden Caufield from Catcher in the Rye. I love it when he describes cute things that girls do as "killing him." The scene when he describes how pitiful his old teacher is cracks me up, too.

Becky Bloomwood from the Shopaholic series (yeah, that's right). Her justifications for her ridiculous actions remind me of a certain red-headed friend I have.

Esther Greenwood from the Bell Jar. Even though I'm not as crazy as her, I can definitely relate to her breakdowns.

Francie Nolan from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. The descriptions of her alcoholic father are heartbreaking and moving.

I know, I'm such an English major. But I want to know what you think. Please let me know!

4 comments:

Alicia said...

Jo from Little Women has always been a favorite of mine. Her captivating energy appealed to me as a young girl, and still today.

Anonymous said...

Alexei Karamazov from The Brothers Karamazov, innocent yet strong.

Matthew McDonald said...

i agree about holden. i also love it when he says things kill him in refernce to girls. he loves to love much like msyelf.

also nick twisp from youth in revolt. pretty amazing dude.

Matthew McDonald said...

oh and seymour glass in a perfect day for bananafish from 9 stories.