Monday, September 26, 2005

Something that's never nice to hear...

I walked into school today feeling less crappy than usual for several reasons: I had a new green sweater on, my hair was looking especially stylish, and my pointy black shoes had been sufficiently broken in, almost to the point of comfort. However, this good mood was only to be damaged by the following conversation with our new male (ewww) fifth grade teacher:

Him: Hey, Val.
Me: Hey there. How was your weekend?
Him: Good, yours?
Me: It was ok, but I didn't get much rest. But it was fun.
Him: Yeah, you look tired.
Me: What?
Him: I mean, no offense, but you're not looking so good today. Are you ok?
Me: (hmmmming and hawing, trying to act like I feel as bad as I apparently look) I'm ok, but I think I might be coming down with something. You know these kids, they're really germie.

He exits. I stand there mortified. I know I shouldn't be so effected (or affected, I never know which one it is) by his inocuous and ultimately good-intentioned comment, but I ultimately ended the day feeling like crap. So, as rule, friends, don't mention that someone looks like crap unless they say they feel that way.

4 comments:

Matthew McDonald said...

dude i never know effect or affect either. and whenever i don't know and need to know i think "i'll ask valerie next time i see her." but now i am doomed. DOOMED I say!

Val said...

So EFFECT then?

mbs said...

affected! valerie i'm shocked and appalled.

-mbs

Val said...

Right, crap, I forgot how I used it in the sentence. I only need the equivalent of a 5th grade education now so feel lucky that I even used punctuation.